Ink Canada Facebook Edition is a Facebook Group and community for Canadian screenwriters and filmmakers. The Group is edited with uber-love by Karen Walton, Canada’s A-list screenwriter and industry activist and is a ridiculous font of goodness. It is brimming with tips and information offered by seasoned writers and industry players on all aspects of the craft and business of writing for film, TV or new media, befitting newbie and pro writers, directors, producers alike.
I am an intern on Ink Canada this year, along with 6 other smartypants, and am just blown away by all the really useful advice on the Facebook Group – especially the Discussion pages. That is also why I am distraught at not being able to “search” it to find threads or topics. Yup – Facebook’s search is non-functioning and has been broken for months now. Also, the threads do not seem to get indexed by Google, so you can’t use that search method either.
This sucks on quite a few levels. It makes it hard to go back and easily find a post you’d like to reread when there is over a year’s worth of discussion spread across hundreds of threads. Every new thread that is added pushes older discussions further and further back into a mire of uncategorized archive pages.
Because newbies generally ask the same questions over and over (in any field mind you), telling them that that question has been answered before and that they need only to find it in the ink archives is just a bit evil.
So, until the Facebook search is fixed, here are a few of my favorite threads. Email me to let me know if I’ve missed some.
- ink FAQ – how to use the Facebook site – an irreverent guide
- canadian writers, writer-hyphenates, story editors & intl screenwriters online
- i write *films* in & from canada: one-liners covering things i am contractually permitted to acknowledge
- for everybody who asks us older-types about agents…
- Ink Canada Exclusive: FQU with Anthea Foyer
- Ink Canada Exclusive: FQU With Jim Henshaw
- FQU: screenwriter TONY ELLIOTT
- FQU: JACOB & KEVIN TIERNEY on THE TROTSKY
- Intern assignment – Telefilm Atlantic Region
- Intern Assignment – Writer’s First
- those in/interested in writing in the US of A…
- Intern Irene here with my first question: How do you BE a writer?
- How many scripts?
- What would you Spec and why?
- What is the best way for new writers to get their work (film scripts) noticed in the Canadian market?
- Book options
- Fun with Pitching!
- Selling that elusive first script
- advanced writing issues: your producers’ development budget runs out before the script is ready – what do u do?
- ladies, women & girls – the joys of scribbling when you’re like, so not a guy